Can I go to physical therapy to strengthen my groin after a hernia?

Dr. David Earle
Surgery

In brief: Yes, but...

As long as there is no discomfort, you can attend physical therapy.
This however will not fix the hernia. The only way to accomplish that is with an operation.

In brief: Yes, but...

Dr. David Earle
Dr. David Earle
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Not really

Going to physical therapy (or the gym) may strengthen your abdominal muscles, but it will not fix a hernia.
A hernia is a defined hole in the muscles and, once present, can only be fixed surgically. Ironically, the exercises that strengthen the abdominal wall tend to worsen the hernia, due to the added strain.

In brief: Not really

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery