Would ice/heat therapy help relieve a strained sternum?

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: Try
I do not know how severe is the lesion in your sternum. Assuming is not serious.
..In general ice or heat (topical) works as antiinflammatory. Inmediately to injuries we prefer cold so if there is any bleeding will stop. After few hours heat or warmth is the most common anti inflammatory but some people prefer cold. Make sure there is nothing else like rib fractures or any other pathology. Part 2.

In brief: Try
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Frank Holmes
Sports Medicine
In brief: Maybe
There's no harm in trying.
I generally find ice to be more effective if an acute injury. Apply for 20 minutes 3-5 times/day in the first week. Be careful applying directly to the skin, as frostbite may occur.

In brief: Maybe
There's no harm in trying.
Dr. Frank Holmes
Dr. Frank Holmes
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine