What are some physical therapy exercises for a herniated disc?

Core strengthening. Once you get the ok to exercise from your doctor, work on strengthening your abs and back muscles which will be protective of your spine. You need to do them in a way so as to not cause pain or other injury. Best to work with a physical therapist to develop a home exercise program.
Many kinds. There are many kinds of exercises for a herniated disc. One type that we use often is called the mckenzie method named after robin mckenzie, an australian physical therapy. The theory here is to try to have the patient move the spine in a way that causes the least amount of pain. For someone with a disc herniation, this is usually spinal extension. With time, the leg pain starts to subside.