What do they do at physical therapy to treat a neck sprain?

Stretch/Strengthen. Most physical therapy is directed to improve range of motion and muscle function. Exercises are designed to improve posture, and decrease pain and stiffness. Injuries are often the result of limited flexibility. Physical therapy can help teach new habits, decrease inflammation, pain, and improve quality of life.
See below. Most neck sprain/strain will get better without treatment. When a few weeks go by and it not getting better, pt can be very helpful in getting someone on the right track towards healing.