What kind of treatment can I expect for a herniated disc at t7, and will I still be able to play football?

Dr. Frank Holmes
Sports Medicine

In brief: Time

90% of thoracic disc herniations require no treatment.
Tincture of time will be the number one treatment. I noticed that you are listed as 46 years of age, so what type of football are you playing? If just flag or touch football, then you can return once your symptoms have improved, but do so gradually. Make sure you tolerate running, changing directions, catching passes, etc. Before competition.

In brief: Time

Dr. Frank Holmes
Dr. Frank Holmes
Dr. Ken Yonemura
Neurosurgery

In brief: Thoracic Disc

A thoracic disc herniation can have much more serious consequences than in the lumbar spine.
The spinal canal is smaller and as a result spinal cord compression is much more of a concern as compared to nerve root issues in the lumbar spine. There are minimally invasive techniques for deompression but without specifics regarding your case it is hard to know the best treatment. See a neurosurgeon.

In brief: Thoracic Disc

Dr. Ken Yonemura
Dr. Ken Yonemura
Dr. Albert Pizzo

In brief: Herniated disc

Depends on the cause and severity of the herniated disc.
Usually your doctor will recommend against playing football as your neck will be more suseptable to worsening injury.

In brief: Herniated disc

Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine