I tore my meniscus in my knee. I've done pt and it still bothers me. What could this mean?

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Arthroscopy is next!

Arthroscopy is the treatment of choice to treat a meniscus tear that is unresponsive to an appropriate attempt of nonoperative management (ptx).
The tear is either partially removed/debrided back to a stable rim or repaired depending upon the location and type of tear. The age of the patient, age of the tear (acute vs chronic), activity level and activity demands of the patient are all considered.

In brief: Arthroscopy is next!

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Tandy Freeman
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Surgery

Persistence of symptoms (pain, swelling, locking, catching, giving way) due to a torn meniscus after a period of several weeks of non-operative treatment that includes physical therapy usually means that surgical treatment is necessary to alleviate the symptoms.
You should discuss this with your doctor.

In brief: Surgery

Dr. Tandy Freeman
Dr. Tandy Freeman
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine