I have torn cartilage in my knee, do people come back better than ever after surgery?

Hopefully as good. Not all cartilage and meniscal tears are the same. The goals of cartilage surgery are to restore function and motion with minimal pain. The outcome for your knee depends upon the degree of damage found at surgery. Small focal tears tend to do better than larger diffuse tears. Your surgeon will be able to review your specific findings at surgery and give you the prognosis for your individual knee.
No. Absolutely not. No not expect any meniscal surgery to make you better than before the surgery. You may feel better then what you feel now, but even that is not a promise. You should see an experienced sports medicine doctor for further recommendations. At your age, meniscal surgery could have life long implications. Again, see a specialist and beware of overzealous surgeons.