I popped my knee cap out, how long before I can return to sports?

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: 3-6 wks but variable
Initial patella dislocations are treated by reduction and immobilization.
Once pain has resolved and motion and strength return (usually with therapy), progression toward normal activities is allowed. Bracing to help stabilize the patella is often utilized. Rarely, surgery is indicated to stabilize the unstable patella. Your orthopaedic surgeon will help determine the best treatment for your knee.

In brief: 3-6 wks but variable
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Vishal Shah
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: It varies
Generally, an isolated dislocation of the kneecap without associated injuries can be successfully treated with rehabilitation and bracing and allow a successful return to sports in 4-6 weeks.
This can vary widely depending on patient factors, severity of the injury, dedication to rehab, number of dislocations, and associated injuries. If surgery is required, return to sport can take longer.

In brief: It varies
Dr. Vishal Shah
Dr. Vishal Shah
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine