How can you recover from a torn ligament in the knee without surgery?

Ligament dependent. Many ligaments are part of your knee. Ligaments that have a reasonable chane to heal with appropriate non operative management, include: PCL (mandates bracing); mcl, some mpfl (medial patlellofemoral ligament). The ACL and lcl usually required an augmented repair or an anatomical reconstruction?
Depends. The knee joint requires ligament integrity for normal stability and function. The extent of the instability can be determined by your doctor who would then assess if surgery is required. Orthopedic surgeons take into account the amount of instability and the activity level of the person to determine if surgery is required.