What is "mask of pregnancy? "

Increased pigment. Chloasma, or "mask of pregnancy, " is an increased pigmentation across the face and cheeks due to the high levels of estrogen in pregnancy. Estrogen stimulates the skin pigment (melanin) to darken, and voila! -- the mask of pregnancy. The good news is much of the pigment tends to fade after delivery.
Mask of Pregnancy. Melasma is a discoloration that is caused to the facial skin. This discoloration is a cosmetic concern that affects mostly women. It is not a life-threatening or dangerous skin condition. It is simply caused by excess sun exposure and the possible combination of hormonal changes in the body. It is commonly referred to as pregnancy mask. This mask is caused by the hormonal changes during pregnancy.