What is protein in urine mean if kidney disease?

Dr. Kenneth Boren
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Recheck urine

I agree. You can see protein in urine after exercise in some individuals and teenage can have orthostatic proteinuria.
Where protein will appear in the urine on ambulation and it disappears when lying down. I think the next step would be to have. A repeat urine first urine in the morning and no exercise for 24 hours before the sample. I would have the doctor measure the protein creatinine rat.

In brief: Recheck urine

Dr. Kenneth Boren
Dr. Kenneth Boren
Dr. Jason Kline

In brief: Kidney issues.

There can be a small amount of protein (<30mg) seen on a 24 hr urine specimen, but anything above that could indicate kidney disease.
Generally the greater amount of protein, the more serious the disorder. A nephrologist can help diagnose kidney problems based on the urine findings, other lab tests, your history and exam. Sometimes a kidney biopsy is necessary for diagnosis. Best of luck.

In brief: Kidney issues.

Dr. Jason Kline
Dr. Jason Kline
Dr. Jack Rubin

In brief: Proteinuria

Proteinuria (p), protein in urine, is can be a sign of a disease and not a diagnosis.
P needs to be evaluated by a 24 hour urine collection to quantify the amount of p/day. Blood will also need to be taken to arrive at a diagnosis. See a nephrologist for a full evaluation and you will find out if your p is a sign of a serious disease or a benign problem.

In brief: Proteinuria

Dr. Jack Rubin
Dr. Jack Rubin
Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology

In brief: Many causes.

Renal disease from causes like diabetes, sle, and others accounts for the major reasons for protein in the urine.
Protein should not be in the urine. The kidney basement membrane is supposed to keep it out. If it isn't intact, protein leaks out. In burns, accidents, etc., things like myoglobin leak out, and in poststrep. Glomerulonephritis, anythhing can leak out, but these resolve with rx..

In brief: Many causes.

Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. Adam Smith