What to do for carpal tunnel at 49?

Carpal Tunnel. Evaluation and treatment which can be conservative with splinting and opponens muscle stretching after making sure it is not related to thyroid or diabetes issues. If continues may consider electrodiagnostic studies to evaluated severity of electical changes of the nerve. Other treatments may include injections and surgery.
Hand surgeon eval. You should have a thorough clinical examination by a hand surgeon. Then, diagnostic testing with an emg/ncv test may be indicated and treatment can be directed based on the severity of the disease.
Treat it. I would recommend getting it evaluated then the appropriate treatment can begin. You may just need a splint at night to treat.
Hand Consult. Get a consult form a hand surgeon. It depends on the severity of the disease and previous treatments attempted.