What are the typical symptoms of a sprained thumb?

Pain and swelling. Sprains of joints such as the thumb cause pain with motion as the injured structures around the joint are stretched or compressed. Generalized swelling of the joint involved is also a very common complaint. The swelling is bothersome but can be somewhat protective early on in that the swelling functionally limits motion and acts as an internal "brace". Bruising about the thumb is also common.
Pain and soreness. A sprained thumb is very sore around the joints and along the ligaments. If there is pain when trying to bend the thumb or resist side to side motions that is a sign of a ligament sprain.