How can I treat a jammed thumb?

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Ice, protect, eval.
Jammed thumbs can be a soft tissue injury, whereby the surrounding soft tissues are injured or sprained at the joint between the thumb bones (phalanges), or involve bony injury (fracture).
A thorough evaluation by your healthcare provider will help elucidate whether an x-ray is indicated. Usually ice, compression and bracing to protect against further injury is indicated. Recovery is usually rapid.

In brief: Ice, protect, eval.
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Vishal Shah
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: R.I.C.E.
It is important to differentiate between a "jammed" thumb which is a sprain of the ligaments of the thumb and a fracture or dislocation.
The two can often appear similar from outside appearance but can be differentiated by examination and x-rays and are sometimes treated differently. For a jammed thumb, rest, ice, anti-inflammatory medications and temporary immobilization are beneficial.

In brief: R.I.C.E.
Dr. Vishal Shah
Dr. Vishal Shah