How can I protect my foot/ankle from further injury for basketball practice?

Dr. Tandy Freeman
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Exercise and bracing

Ankle sprains are the most common ligament injuries in sports and the most common injury in basketball.
Studies show that completion of a program of physical therapy to restore motion, strength, and balance and continuing a maintenance program upon return to sports is the most effective way to reduce the risk of recurrent ankle sprains. Ankle bracing is an effective adjunct to therapy.

In brief: Exercise and bracing

In brief: Ankle injuries

Ankle braces are a good preventative measure.
Orthotics may help some patients as well.

In brief: Ankle injuries

In brief: Proper support

Support for your foot and ankle can be achieved with proper sport appropriate foot gear, orthotics and a good lace up ankle brace.

In brief: Proper support

Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine