I've had a recent MS flare up causing my lips tongue gums face and scalp all on the left side to become numb, but why would I have tongue pain?

In brief: Pain can occur

More than 90% of all MS patients suffer pain, and the variety of the experience includes facial and mouth pain in certain patients, Have noted that some relapses involving brainstem can also cause migraine headaches.
Basically, treat your relapse with either steroids or ACTH, and this should relieve the pain also.

In brief: Pain can occur

Dr. Idan Sharon
Neurology

In brief: TONGUE problem

Regulated by one of the cranial nerves in the brain.
Tongue sensation problems may be due to a cranial nerve lesion from the ms.

In brief: TONGUE problem

Dr. Scott Bobbitt
Dentistry

In brief: Same reason

Because ms is an inflammatory disease that affects nerve conduction causing changes in sensation (hypoesthesia), the results can be numbness (paresthesia) or pain (dysthesia).
Both are common. Initially symptoms can be transient and most should subside. For longer-lasting symptoms or multiple sites of symptoms. See your doctor.

In brief: Same reason

Dr. Vicken Poochikian