Are mood swings common in pregnancy?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
America as we knew it has changed dramatically and rapidly.
The economy is a concern daily. Many women, even if happy to be pregnant, wonder about the world in which their babies will live. I would be surprised if there weren't mood swings in all moms. Add onto that the hormone shifts of pregnancy, and, yes, changes in mood can be expected. But also check out my guide for mood disorder, depression.

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
I have added new categories of answers in Guides. Check out "How can I BALANCE demands of my family, work, life?" now and as I add new answers from doctors who ask the same question! @DrPam4Women
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Moods in preg.
Depends on several factors, such as prior history of mood changes, general health, support system, any complications during gestation, and expectations regarding the future.

In brief: Moods in preg.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Gregg Friedman
Gregg L. Friedman MD Psychiatrist Agrees
Dr. Ernest Bordini
Clinical Psychology
In brief: To some degree
There are normal and abnormal mood swings in pregnancy which are likely triggered by hormonal and body changes.
This should be discussed wih the attending ob/gyn and psychotherapy may help. If there are serious mood swings one would want to monitor closely after birth for post-partum depression. For more on that see: http://www.Cpancf.Com/articles_files/postpartumdepression.Asp.

In brief: To some degree
Dr. Ernest Bordini
Dr. Ernest Bordini
Dr. Gregg Friedman
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham