How can I relieve pain due to a herniated disc and sciatic pain?

Several . Low back, buttock and "shooting" leg pain are all symptoms of a pinched nerve. It sounds like you may have that problem. If the pain is severe and limiting your activity still, the best non-narcotic medications that I have found to work for my patients are antiinflammatories such as Ibuprofen or Naproxen which are over-the-counter medications. Other non-narcotic medications include tramadol (ultram) which requires a prescription and nerve-pain medications such as gabapentin. These are all to be taken for temporary pain relief. This type of pain typically resolves with time. Ask your primary physician about these if the pain is still limiting you. If it is still going on for more than a month an MRI may be helpful to help sort out what is going on and there could be other potential treatments outside of surgery that could benefit you.
Frustrating. Depending upon severity...Anti-inflammatories ( nonsteroidals or cortisone, muscle relaxants, and physical therapy if not better epidural injections by pain management specialist , if not better... Surgery by spinal surgeon or neurosurgeon.
Conservative care. Pt, meds, traction, exercise and stretching, injections, chiro care, accupuncture, time.