Does inversion therapy work as a treatment for back pain?

Yes And No. Inversion therapy may help you. However this is temporary. We live on planet earth gravity pulls you back. However if that helps continue doing it.
Making more room. The theory of inversion or decompression therapy is that the bones of the spine have a chance of spreading out with the help of gravity or traction. This spreading of the bones allows for more space where the nerves exit the spinal column. More space equates to less chance for the nerves to be impinged or irritated. Check with your doctor to see if this form of therapy may be beneficial for you.