When I bend over to garden why do I feel like a rubber band is snapping in my lower back?

Dr. Richard Roux
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Tight low back
It is most likely that you have tight muscles in your lower back and perhaps tight hamstring muscles as well.
Often, physical therapy can be helpful.

In brief: Tight low back
Often, physical therapy can be helpful.
Dr. Richard Roux
Dr. Richard Roux
Dr. Naresh Rao
Sports Medicine
In brief: Is there pain
The low back has a few structures that can create a snapping sound.
Assuming you do not have any history of trauma or arthritis it can be a ligament called the iliolumbar ligament that can snap over your bones. Also, if your joints are hypermobile, meaning you have more flexibility than mos, the snapping feeling/sound could be coming from your joints. If there is pain see medical attention.

In brief: Is there pain
Dr. Naresh Rao
Dr. Naresh Rao
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine