What is the acl, and what does it do in the knee?

Main knee stabilizer. The anterior cruciate ligament (acl) is one of the main stabilizing ligaments of the knee joint. It allows us to safely perform cutting sports without the knee feeling like it will collapse or buckle. The ACL originates on the femur (thigh bone) and inserts on the tibia (leg bone).
Knee ligament. Acl stands for anterior cruciate ligament. This ligament limits anterior translation and medial rotation of the tibia in respect to the femur and it limits hyperextension of the knee. Functionally it provides stability of the knee when decelerating when running r jumping or "cutting" while running.
Ligament. The acl is one of 4 major ligaments that support the knee. It is commonly torn with a non contact twisting injury. It helps to control front to back motion and rotation of the shin bone (tibia) on the thigh bone (femur). It is important for stability with twisting and cutting movements. It is commonly surgically reconstructed in active patients.