Is physical therapy necessary before ACL surgery?

No. In some cases it can be quite helpful, but with most acute injuries it is not needed.
Goal: normal motion. Prior to ACL reconstructive surgery, it is advisable to have a knee that is "ready for surgery". Ideally this means the initial swelling and stiffness have resolved, quadriceps (thigh muscle) strength has returned, and most importantly- full knee motion is regained. Maximization of these three variables preoperatively help limit the morbidity of surgery. Physical therapy can help this process.