My 17 yr old son tore his ACL and wants to play football. Ss it reasonable to play with a torn acl?

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Risks worse injury
Playing with a torn ACL in sports that require cutting and rapid changes of direction is not generally recommended.
The intact or reconstructed ACL allows a return to such sports, but more importantly, protects against further meniscal or cartilage damage. Your son risks further irreparable damage to his meniscii and joint cartilage if he tries to play with a torn acl.

In brief: Risks worse injury
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Bryan Reuss
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: No
Playing a cutting sport with an ACL tear is not advisable.
..Especially if there is substantial instability. The unstable (acl-deficient) knee can lead to cartilage injuries such as meniscus tears. His knee should have acl-reconstruction in my opinion.

In brief: No
Dr. Bryan Reuss
Dr. Bryan Reuss
Dr. Cindy Juster