How important is it to attend physical therapy after ACL surgery?

Dr. Bryan Reuss
Orthopedic Surgery

The physical therapy after an ACL reconstruction is nearly as important as the ACL reconstruction itself!

Dr. Bryan Reuss
Dr. Bryan Reuss
Dr. Bruce Prager
I tell my ACL and my shoulder patients: "The surgery is 50% and the therapy is 50%. If you don't go to PT then your result will be suboptimal." In other words it is mandatory.
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Usually mandatory

Most surgeons that reconstruct torn anterior cruciate ligaments (acl) require physical therapy in some form or fashion for at least 6-12 weeks.
Most insurance companies approve such therapy as they realize the evidence-based research that supports the utility of therapy to maximize functional recovery after major reconstructive surgery of the knee. Initial focus of therapy is motion and strength.

In brief: Usually mandatory

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Thomas Deberardino