Stage IV metastatic breast cancer and pleural effusion. What is treatment?

It depends. Breast cancers come in many "flavors", and this will determine the treatment. Usually it's a form of chemotherapy given by mouth or by vein. Xeloda is given by mouth, and there are many intravenous chemotherapies. Sometimes hormone blocking medications are very effective if the cancer has the estrogen or Progesterone receptor on its surface. Herceptin (trastuzumab) is useful if it has her2 on its surface.
Drain fluid. Pleural effusion is fluid that collects in the cavity that holds the lungs. When fluid builds up, it can prevent the lung from expanding fully so you can breathe. Worst case scenario is the lung can collapse. A special tube can be placed in the chest to drain this fluid. You should be working closely with your oncologist and a thoracic surgeon.
Team approach. Breast cancer is best treated with multi-discipline approach. The effusion should be drained and analyzed. If the effusion contains malignant cells or is suspicious for malignancy, there are different techniques that may be employed to prevent recurrence and potentially guide further therapy. It is important to discuss this condition with a thoracic surgeon.