Can you become blind from strabismus surgery?

Unlikely. Blindness from strabismus surgery is a rare and unlikely complication. Statistically, it is probably more dangerous to drive in a car for the surgery than to have the anesthesia and surgery for most people.
Very rare. Strabismus surgery is performed on the outside of the eye, realigning the eye muscles so that the eyes appear straight and coordinated. There are a few rare instances of lowered vision afterwards due to surgical mishaps, but these are literally a number you an count on one hand versus the 100, 000s of thousands done each year. Discuss with your ophthalmologist.