How long should I stop wearing contacts before a laser eye surgery?

Dr. Jay Pepose
Ophthalmology

In brief: It depends

It depends. If you are wearing soft contact lenses, generally 2 weeks is adequate.
For toric contacts or gas permeable contacts, 3 or more weeks may be required. If you wore the old pmma contacts for decades, it could take longer. The best rule of thumb is to have the shape of the eye tested (topography) and have that repeated when out of contacts to prove that the shape is stable and not shifting.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Jay Pepose
Dr. Jay Pepose
Dr. Theodore Wu
For my patients with gas permeable lenses, I ask them to keep their contacts out for 4 weeks minimum
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: 2-4 weeks

If you are a soft lens wearer, most require that you refrain from contacts for 2 weeks.
If you are a hard lens wearer (or gas permeable) then most require 4 weeks prior to surgery. You might be required to have a re-measure of the eye surface after this interval to get the best result.

In brief: 2-4 weeks

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Andrea Brand