Does chronic alcoholism cause macular degeneration in children?

Dr. Jon Fishburn
Ophthalmology
In brief: Macular degeneration
The usual risk factors are positive family history, cigarette smoking, far sightedness, light iris color, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, female gender, heart disease , and of course aging.
To my knowledge alcoholism in a parent doesn't cause macular degeneration in their children, unless the above risk factors apply to the children.

In brief: Macular degeneration
Dr. Jon Fishburn
Dr. Jon Fishburn
Dr. Emil Chynn
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery
In brief: Macular degeneration
No alcoholism doesn't cause armd in kids.
It can cause fetal alcohol syndrome which can have ophthalmic manifestations. Or the child could have rop if premature which is associated w maternal alcoholism.

In brief: Macular degeneration
Dr. Emil Chynn
Dr. Emil Chynn
Dr. Bud Kurwa
Ophthalmology
In brief: No
You can get damage to the brain from excess alcohol but no evidence for macular damage has been shown.

In brief: No
Dr. Bud Kurwa
Dr. Bud Kurwa
Dr. Jonathan Jassey