Is it normal for eye vision to worsen a few weeks after corneal transplant surgery?

Dr. Stephen Hamilton
Ophthalmology

I see this most commonly in keratoconus grafts where initial swelling causes graft flattening.
As the swelling goes down the graft steepens and becomes more myopic. Of course any transplant can have a change in refractive error and astigmatism as it heals. I would not worry about rejection this early but if there is any pain or increase in redness or light sensitivity i would see your surgeon now.

Dr. Stephen Hamilton
Dr. Stephen Hamilton
Dr. Robert Chang
Ophthalmology

In brief: Could happen

Any time the vision is changing, you should be checked out for rejection or infection issues.
The vision can worsen depending on the astigmatism and amount of corneal swelling.

In brief: Could happen

Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: Maybe

It is common for vision after corneal transplant surgery to fluctuate and the uncorrected vision may be decreased as compared to prior to surgery.
It may be 6-12 months before you will be to your best vision.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Clement Cheng
Ophthalmology

In brief: Depends

The uncorrected vision after corneal transplantation surgery will vary depending on many factors including healing of the corneal surface, decreasing corneal edema, decreasing ocular inflammation, scarring and healing of the transplant incisions.
The final prescription can change as these things happen. Also infections and rejections of the cornea can also cause worsening vision.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Clement Cheng
Dr. Clement Cheng
Dr. David Kira
Ophthalmology

Depending on the type of transplant - full thickness or endothelial graft the tissues have to heal and stabilize.
Please be patient with corneal grafting results - it takes a long time.

Dr. David Kira
Dr. David Kira
Dr. Marsha Davis