Will my eyes look normal if I have glaucoma surgery?

Dr. Andrew Shatz
Ophthalmology

In brief: They should

Most glaucoma surgery is performed in such a way as to prevent anyone from seeing what was done.
Occasionally, a more involved surgery could at least temporarily cause the eye to look a little different, but most of the time, there is no change to the eye's appearance.

In brief: They should

Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Robert Chang
Ophthalmology

Typically yes. Glaucoma surgery is often performed where the eyelids cover the site of surgery.
However, after multiple surgeries, it is less likely for the eye to appear normal. Sometimes lid droop can occur and need to be repaired. The side effect of some glaucoma surgeries can rarely make the eye look abnormal or not align properly.

Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery