Should i drink beer if I have a kidney stone?

Dr. James Krick
Urology

In brief: Hydration is the key

Beer has no medicinal properties when it comes to kidney stones.
Beer is mostly water. Making 2 liters of urine daily is recommended for prevention. Although alcohol is a diuretic (makes urine fast) it also leaves you dehydrated later, increasing stone formation risk. Water is the key!

In brief: Hydration is the key

Dr. James Krick
Dr. James Krick
Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: It depends

Please ask your own physician about this.
Depending on the content of your kidney stones, certain liquids and foods might be contra-indicated. I've read things talking about moderate beer intake possibly dilating ureters a small amount, but i wouldn't suggest counting on that effect. Water is the best kind of liquid to drink, in any case.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine