How can I prevent mastitis?

Dr. Laura Webb

In brief: Remove obstruction

Mastitis occurs from a plugged duct, which is often due to anything that hampers milk flow, ie an obstruction.
This may be from an ill fitting bra or lack of complete emptying of the breast during a feeding. Diets high in saturated fat and sodium also increase your risk of plugged ducts. So, allow your baby to nurse long enough to soften your breast, wear loose clothing and eat a healthy diet.

In brief: Remove obstruction

Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Regina Hampton
Breast Surgery

In brief: Keep pumping

Try to keep the breast milk flowing, either with the baby sucking or pumping.
Recurrent mastitis can be common. I recommend consulting with a breast surgeon who can help manage this problem.

In brief: Keep pumping

Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Regina Hampton