Will getting induced help me have a vaginal birth after consecutive c-sections?

Dr. Padmavati Garvey

In brief: No

No. The best thing would be for you to go into labor naturally.

In brief: No

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Jeff Livingston

In brief: No

If you are hoping to have a vbac waiting for spontaneous labor to occur is leads to a better chance of success.
Getting induced increases the risk of uterine rupture and increases the risk of a repeat c section.

In brief: No

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston

In brief: No

If you are planning a vbac, awaiting sponaneous labor is best, if possible.
The underlying rate of uterine rupture is doubled with the use of induction agents. If you get to 41-42 weeks, an induction may still be indicated.

In brief: No

Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
Dr. Terrence Harris

In brief: No

To clarify a point based on the phrasing of your question - vaginal delivery is not recommended after 2 or more c-sections (which is what i believe you meant by "consecutive").
If that is not what you meant, i apologize for the misunderstanding.

In brief: No

Dr. Terrence Harris
Dr. Terrence Harris
2 comments
Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
ACOG's latest practice bulletin now endorses VBAC after two cesareans in the right environment, as the rupture rate is still very low.
Dr. Terrence Harris
I would take some issue with the term "endorse", since they do a great job of hedging their bets in that bulletin (as with all bulletins). But your point is valid. No OB's I know (in my area) would be willing to allow VBAC after 2 or more C-sections. The difference may lie in the hospital setting - i.e., a clinical instructor at Emory has the advantage of residents in house 24/7 to cover that STAT c-section for a ruptured uterus. Those of us in a non-university setting don't have that reassurance.
Dr. Jonathan Jassey