Is it bad to massage my eyes when they get tired from computer use?

Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery
In brief: Dry eye
Your eyes are getting dry while you are using the computer. Instead of massaging your eyes, try using artificial tears and taking a short break if possible.
Warm compresses of the eyelid are fine but i would avoid firm massaging of your eyes themselves.

In brief: Dry eye
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Ophthalmology
In brief: In a word, yes
Normal eye pressure runs about 10-20mmhg.
Anything higher gives doctors pause to consider glaucoma. Rubbing eyes can increase the pressure as high as 60mmhg - 3 times the upper limit. This can cause a glaucoma-like condition over years. Additionally, some studies suggest that chronic eye rubbing can lead to other vision problems. Better to use artificial tears to soothe your tired eyes.

In brief: In a word, yes
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Jon Fishburn
Ophthalmology
In brief: Eye fatigue
I don't recommend rubbing or massaging your eyes after fatigue induced by computer use.
It's best to give your eyes a break every 50' on the hour, to use artificial tear drops, and to stare away from the computer screen.

In brief: Eye fatigue
Dr. Jon Fishburn
Dr. Jon Fishburn
Dr. Steven Seres