What will happen if I get an amniotic fluid leak?

Dr. Erin Alward
In brief: Hospital admission
If you are talking about water breaking between 24-34 weeks and no labor, you would be admitted to the hospital on bedrest.
Steroid injections would be given to help mature the baby's lungs. Antibiotics may be given to reduce the risk of infection in the uterus. The baby would be monitored for heart rate problems and growth problems.

In brief: Hospital admission
Dr. Erin Alward
Dr. Erin Alward
Dr. Erin Alward
In brief: Watch and wait
I am assuming that you are talking about a fluid leak after a procedure like an amniocentesis.
If so, most doctors will discuss bedrest and watching for the leaking to stop. They will also probably repeat ultrasounds to see if the amniotic fluid level increases. 90% of babies survive after a fluid leak after an amniocentesis.

In brief: Watch and wait
Dr. Erin Alward
Dr. Erin Alward
Dr. Adam Levy