Are dental conditions hereditary?

Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dentistry - Cosmetic

Genetics play a role in all our diseases.
However it is the epigenetics that count. That is the environment action on our genetics. For example if you are prone to tooth decay because you have slightly acidic saliva (genetics) but you eat low carb and use Fluoride rinses and tooth paste, use xylitol, acp and have excellent oral hygiene. Your decay rate should be low.

In brief: Some are but

Equal to heredity.
. Consider similarities that families have..By this i mean families tend to eat the same foods, drink the same beverages, feel the same about their teeth. If you find that those in the same family have similar dental problems maybe heredity is not really to blame:they simply need to realign their thinking toward bettter dental health, improving diet & at home tooth care.

In brief: Some are but

Equal to heredity.
Dr. Maryam Chiani
Dentistry

In brief: Some

Some dental conditions are hereditary. I.E. Periodontal(gum) disease.

In brief: Some

Dr. Kim Capehart
Dentistry

There are many dental conditions that are hereditary.
If you have questions you should go to your dentist and ask if you have specific questions.

In brief: Yes and No

Some are such as missing permanent teeth and we tend to see tendencies in children that parents had (ie soft teeth, gum issues) but most of these can be overcome with good home oral hygiene care.
We have to remember dental care for each generation is better (whats available) so best not to use the excuse "my parent had bad teeth so thats why my mouth is how it is now".

In brief: Yes and No

Dr. Steven Seres