What kind of doctor should I see for eye pain?

Eye care provider. An optician grinds lenses for glasses, an optometrist is a trained eye care provider that has not been trained to perform surgery, and an ophthalmologist has gone to medical school and residency and may have had subspecialty training (main distinction is surgical training).
Ophthalmologists. Ophthamologists are trained to detect disease and treat appropriately using either medical or surgical techniques.