I have a stabbing pain behind my left eye when I blink. What is it?

Dr. David Kira
Ophthalmology

In brief: Dryness

Usually, tranisent sharp (stabbing) pains are caused by extreme dryness.
Certainly problems such as foreign bodies or corneal irregularities can be problems as well. Try artificial tears for some relief - if this works it is the likely cause. See you ophthalmologist for long-term solutions.

In brief: Dryness

Dr. David Kira
Dr. David Kira
Dr. Theodore Wu
Ophthalmology

In brief: Pain

Causes of pain include foreign body, eyelash, dry eye, corneal abrasion, migraine, cluster headache, aberrant regeneration, tumor, trauma, and syndrome of sharp stabbing pain.
If the symptoms are recurrent or persist, call your local ophthalmologist for help. It is ok to try artificial tears such as systane to see if this helps...

In brief: Pain

Dr. Theodore Wu
Dr. Theodore Wu