Can I wear contacts if I have a corneal scar on one of my eyes?

Dr. Robert Chang
Ophthalmology
The contacts have to be fitted properly.
Sometimes contacts are the best way to improve vision after a corneal scar. Other times, the scarring is too much so that no contact lens can properly fit the curvature.

Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. William Goldstein
Ophthalmology
In brief: Helpful
If a lens can be fitted, and there is not a dense scar blocking light from entering the eye, than contact lenses can be worn comfortably and even improve vision.
The increase in vision is because a rigid gas permeable contact lens can 'float' over the irregularity of the scar, giving a smooth focal surface for better vision.

In brief: Helpful
Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. Christopher Hood
Ophthalmology
In fact, a rigid gas permeable lens may be able to correct the vision loss that is due to irregular astigmatism.

Dr. Christopher Hood
Dr. Christopher Hood