What is the alternative to surgery for cataracts for a 80 year old?

Poor vision. If you have cataracts, and cannot see well there are not too many options aside from surgery. Cataract surgery is an elective surgery so you never need to have it. Your vision will remain poor if you do not have surgery but they will not kill you. However, if you have cataracts, the best way to improve your vision is to have surgery.
None for best vision. In most instances, cataract surgery is an elective procedure. Glasses may correct the prescription, but the vision remains blurry due to the cataract blocking the light inside the eye. Surgery is the only way currently to remove the cataract. It is a very common and effective procedure. As with any treatment, risks and benefits must be considered.