Can methotrexate treat psoriasis?

Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Yes. Agree, but....

Methotrexate can be very effective.
However, the first studies raising the specter of liver disease came from psoriasis patients on daily low dose oral mtx!. The first pass effect is dangerous for the liver. Mtx cannot be adjudicated aqs an oral drug. Absorption is variable (40-90%), causes GI upset, and hits the liver first. I only use subcutaneous mtx once weekly. This is the safest!

In brief: Yes. Agree, but....

Methotrexate can be very effective.
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Julio Hajdenberg
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

Yes, it is one of many treatments available to patients with psoriasis.
A dermatologist should be able to tell if it is appropriate for any particular patient. It has been used for decades, so we have a lot of experience with this drug.

Dr. Julio Hajdenberg
Dr. Julio Hajdenberg
Dr. Arnon Rubin