I have high correction and astigmatism. Will I still need to wear glasses after my cataracts surgery?

Dr. Michael Ham
Ophthalmology

In brief: Not necessrily

Depends on the surgeon, measurements, type of lens.
You may be able to eliminate the need for glasses after surgery, both far and near. You may only need them for near. The more astigmatism and correction you have does decrease the odds of an outcome where you do not need glasses, but still is very possible.

In brief: Not necessrily

Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. John Odette
Ophthalmology

In brief: Maybe

High myopia or hyperopia(correction) is easily corrected with cataract surgery.
High astigmatism can now be corrected with many different modalities. However, astigmatism correction is something that insurance will not pay for so it is an out-of-pocket expense. I highly recommend it for my astigmatism patients. If you cannot afford it, at least you will have thinner glasses!

In brief: Maybe

Dr. John Odette
Dr. John Odette
Dr. Harvey Fishman
Ophthalmology

In brief: Not necessarily

Some of the new intraocular lenses can treat astigmatism and high refractive error.
Some of these enses can provide both distance and near correction without the need for glasses.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Harvey Fishman
Dr. Harvey Fishman
Dr. Steven Seres