Can sulfamethoxazole (bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) ds) make your acne worse before it gets better?

Pathology

I'd check with my physician first, though, since Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) itself is famous for producing a different kind of rash that can be dangerous.

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology

In brief: No

But it takes 2 or 3 months to determine response.
During this time the acne will fluctuate according to factors unrelated to bactrim. This is a med used for bacterial infections. While small doses can be useful for acne, it is not first line. Most adult women with acne will get a poor result. Also it may cause damage to normal bacteria. SPIRONOLACTONE is far more effective and far safer.

In brief: No

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dr. Peter Kurzweil