Can abscessed tooth cause vision loss?

Yes

Vision
In my clinical practice, I have seen a patient that had a tooth abscess and developed inflammation in both eyes that affected his vision. It only resolved after the tooth was fixed. If you notice any changes in the vision, you should see your eyecare provider.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Vision Abscess Teeth Inflammation Tooth abscess Vision loss Eye Abscessed tooth Loss of vision

answered:

Yes but rare

Vision
If the infection is severe enough but usually it wouldn't.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Vision Vision loss Infection Abscess Abscessed tooth Loss of vision Teeth Tooth abscess

Rare condition

Tooth
In rare situations an abscessed tooth can cause an infection that will spread to the orbit and cause vision loss. More common is an abscessed tooth related to uncontrolled Diabetes, and it is the Diabetic Retinopathy causing vision loss. See your EyeMD right away for any vision loss associated with unusual infections.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Diabetes risks Diabetes Vision Vision loss Child diabetes Teeth Infection Retinopathy Abscess Abscessed tooth

answered:

Not usually

Teeth
If the abscess causes a more invasive infection into the sinuses, it could then cause damage to some of the ocular structures (like the optic nerve); this is quite rare. In general, dental issues don't cause ocular issues as well.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Abscess Sinuses Infection Optic nerve Nerve Vision Vision loss Abscessed tooth Loss of vision Teeth