What is the recommended treatment for a 10-year-old with amblyopia?

Dr. Moonyoung Chung
Ophthalmology
In brief: Part time patching
I part time patch amblyopia until 12 y old and have seen improvement.
Starting earlier is always best though. Make sure the patient has the proper glasses correction too.

In brief: Part time patching
Dr. Moonyoung Chung
Dr. Moonyoung Chung
Dr. David Kira
Ophthalmology
In brief: Not very much
Generally, it is believed that the bulk of ocular maturation occurs before 7-8 years of age.
There may be some benefit in treating for severe amblyopia with patching or glasses even up to 18 years or so but the improvements may be modest. Best to see what the underlying cause of amblyopia is and if desired, treatment. Best discussed with your ophthalmologist.

In brief: Not very much
Dr. David Kira
Dr. David Kira
Dr. Eric Weisman