How would I know if I had an incompetent cervix?

Dr. Liza Kunz
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Diagnosis with loss
Unfortunately most women don't know that they have an incompetent cervix until they experience a late miscarriage.
Sometimes we discover cervical shortening on ultrasound that can clue us in before a loss occurs, but that is not typical.

In brief: Diagnosis with loss
Dr. Liza Kunz
Dr. Liza Kunz
Dr. Walter Kobasa
some maternal fetal medicine docs do a cervical length check at an us 18-20 weeks to check for cervical shortening. unsure if cost effective to diagnose cervical shortening to prevent preterm labor or added income especially if no prior history
Dr. Jeff Livingston
In brief: Previous 2nd TM loss
An incompetent cervix is usually diagnosed after a second trimester loss where the cervix dilates before the onset of labor or contractions.
Sometimes it is diagnosed during pregnancy by seeing shortening of the cervix or beaking of the membranes into the cervix on ultrasound.

In brief: Previous 2nd TM loss
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Adam Levy