I have a lazy eye. My eyes keep going out of focus. Is this normal?

Dr. David Kira
Ophthalmology

In brief: It can be

Many cases of amblyopia are due to differences in refraction between the eyes or grossly out of focus eyes.
Sometimes, it is caused by farsightedness and a common complaint is variable focus. Getting a careful refraction for glasses can go a long ways towards comfort.

In brief: It can be

Dr. David Kira
Dr. David Kira
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Ophthalmology

In brief: See an eye doctor

A lazy eye may still see somewhat well, and if not dealt with, can cause the vision in both eyes to seem difficult.
Additionally, since only one eye is doing most of the work, if it is not completely in focus (for example, if you need a new prescription for glasses or contacts), you may notice it very easily. Have your eyes examined and discuss options available to decrease these symptoms.

In brief: See an eye doctor

Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Andrew Shatz