My mom had a cataract surgery a year ago, but her eyes are still watery. Is this normal?

Dr. Robert Chang
Ophthalmology
In brief: Maybe
Might have existed before the surgery.
Could be related to poor production, decreased outflow (lacrimal drain issues), reflexive with poor tear film or lid position. Making incisions on the cornea sometimes affects the feedback loop of the cornea and tears.

In brief: Maybe
Might have existed before the surgery.
Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Stephen Khachikian
Ophthalmology
In brief: Her eyes may be dry
A year after surgery it is possible that her eyes are dry and she is over producing tears to compensate for the dryness.
Try using artificial tears to see if this helps.

In brief: Her eyes may be dry
Dr. Stephen Khachikian
Dr. Stephen Khachikian
Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery
In brief: Wateriness
The watery eyes are not related to the prior cataract surgery.
Dry eye is very common. I would try artificial tears frequently during the day, ointment at night, warm compresses 1-2 times a day, and omega-3 fatty acid supplements. If no improvement, see an eye doctor.

In brief: Wateriness
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Christopher Hood
Ophthalmology
In brief: Not related
This isn't related to cataract surgery.
She should see an eye doctor for evaluation. It could be as simple as dry eye, eyelid malposition, or obstruction of the tear drainage system.

In brief: Not related
This isn't related to cataract surgery.
Dr. Christopher Hood
Dr. Christopher Hood
Dr. Vicken Poochikian