My eyes get watery and itchy when I start reading a book. Is this normal?

Dr. Andrew Shatz
Ophthalmology

In brief: It may be dry eyes

If this symptom does not occur at any other time, it is likely related to dry eyes or the need for reading glasses.
Although itchy eyes are often a sign of allergies, they would occur throughout the day. If you try artificial tears several times per day and still have these symptoms see an eye doctor who will evaluate your vision and overall eye health.

In brief: It may be dry eyes

Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Theodore Wu
Ophthalmology

In brief: Watery eye

When you read, your blink rate diminishes.
This can result in dry eye, which causes tearing and blurring of the vision. This can be treated with artificial tears, such as theratears. If the eyes itch, this may be an allergic response to dust in the book. Try zaditor (ketotifen) or Pataday if the itching persists.

In brief: Watery eye

Dr. Theodore Wu
Dr. Theodore Wu
Dr. Marsha Davis