7 doctors weighed in:

I get itchy eyes and runny nose when I go down to my basement. What could cause that?

7 doctors weighed in
Dr. David Kira
Ophthalmology
4 doctors agree

In brief: Allergies

Basements and other dark damp places may harbor allergens such as molds.
These can be powerful allergens and cause intense itching. Be sure to check for these or water leakage. Just wear a mask with good ventilation or call a professional if you smell a musty odor.

In brief: Allergies

Basements and other dark damp places may harbor allergens such as molds.
These can be powerful allergens and cause intense itching. Be sure to check for these or water leakage. Just wear a mask with good ventilation or call a professional if you smell a musty odor.
Dr. David Kira
Dr. David Kira
Thank
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Ophthalmology
2 doctors agree

In brief: Mold, dust, allergy

Basements can harbor mold, dust, and animal dander. Often, there is poor air circulation which creates the problem. If you cannot or do not want to avoid going to the basement, have it professionally cleaned and evaluated for mold.
Using antihistamine eye drops may help the symptoms, but the root cuase will still be there.

In brief: Mold, dust, allergy

Basements can harbor mold, dust, and animal dander. Often, there is poor air circulation which creates the problem. If you cannot or do not want to avoid going to the basement, have it professionally cleaned and evaluated for mold.
Using antihistamine eye drops may help the symptoms, but the root cuase will still be there.
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Thank
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: Possible allergy

Could be an allergy to dust or mold.

In brief: Possible allergy

Could be an allergy to dust or mold.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat
Thank
Dr. John Jarstad
Ophthalmology

In brief: Mold spores

Mold is likely. Install an electrostatic air filter / cleaner and wash the element in the dishwasher monthly with a tablespoon of household bleach.
That will kill the mold. Also clean everything out and mop with a fungicide solution purchased at home depot or other commercial store or hire someone to professionally clean it. You could also have a pest or animal problem or birds.

In brief: Mold spores

Mold is likely. Install an electrostatic air filter / cleaner and wash the element in the dishwasher monthly with a tablespoon of household bleach.
That will kill the mold. Also clean everything out and mop with a fungicide solution purchased at home depot or other commercial store or hire someone to professionally clean it. You could also have a pest or animal problem or birds.
Dr. John Jarstad
Dr. John Jarstad
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Arnon Rubin
Board Certified, Internal Medicine
20 years in practice
163K people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors